Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Training...Me or the dog?

Training the dog has been a lot of trial and error. What really works for me is that I praise her when she does something good and ignore or tell her she's in trouble for the bad behavior. It really seems to work well. She doesn't nip me anymore because I would push on her tongue if she did. Brett won't do it and she continues to nip him. HMMM...maybe I'm right?! I have also made an amazing discovery! Let me give you a little background first. My youngest is so dang destructive. He will throw toys, rip up books and is constantly punching someone. We have tired EVERYTHING, well not everything. We punish him when he does something wrong, spanking, time out in the corner, taking toys away. you name it we've done it. But now I think, "Why not you the same technique on Jett as we use on the dog? Praise him when he does the right thing and just tell him he's doing something wrong or ignore the bad behavior." The experiment begins tomorrow!!

1 comment:

  1. A great book is "The art of Raising a Puppy" by the monks of new Skete. It has similar techniques.

    ReplyDelete